By Aarif Billah Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahab R.A
Aarif Billah Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahab RA passed away on 02 June 2013. Scholars, Mashaikh and Ulama from all over the world expressed grief and sadness on this great loss.
Hazrat Maulana Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani Sahab Db also visited Khanqah Imdadia Ashrafiya to condole with Hazrat Wala’s son, Hazrat Maulana Hakeem Muhammad Mazhar Sahab Db.
Here’s a special article that Hazrat Mufti Taqi Usmani Sahab Damatbarakatuhum wrote on the pious life of Hazrat Wala RA and his services for Islam.
Aarif Billah Shaykh ul Arab Wal Ajam Hazrat e Aqdas Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahab RA passed away on Monday 1434 – 23 Rajab | 02 June 2013 shortly after the Maghrib salah, leaving behind millions of followers, admirers, students and spiritual disciples. The demise of Hazrat Wala RA has not only saddened the hearts of Muslims across Pakistan, but also left a deep impact on Muslims across the globe.
The funeral prayer of Hazrat Wala RA was led by Hazrat’s son, Hazrat Maulana Hakeem Muhammad Mazhar Sahab Db, on 03 June 2013, and was attended by more than 100,000 people, while thousands couldn’t even make it to the janazah because of traffic jams across the city of Karachi due to the extremely large number of people who had turned up for the Janazah.
Hazrat Wala RA was laid to rest in a small graveyard near Jamia Ashraf ul Madaris , one of the largest religious schools in Pakistan and founded by Hazrat Wala RA.
We have listed all the events, resources and recordings related to the demise of Hazrat Wala RA on this page. The page will be updated regularly insha Allah as soon as new content is available.
Note: Please report any broken links on our Contact Page
Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Saheb RA
(1928 – 2013)
Note: This short biography has been taken from Khanqah.org and was written before Hazrat passed away
Shaykh Maulana Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Saheb (Daamat Barakaatuhum) is one of the greatest gifted scholars of Islam today. His reputation and standing to the Muslims of Asian subcontinent needs no introduction. However, for the benefit of others, Shaykh has been favored by Allah (swt) to have been nurtured by three of the greatest and most renowned Wali’s (saints) of his time.
Shaykh’s inclination towards the Creator, the Almighty Allah (swt) began before he even reached puberty. He dedicated his life from before teens in the service of those pious servants of Allah (swt) whom the world today refers as Ahlullah (saints). From the tender age of 12, he began attending discourses of renowned scholars of the time. At the age of 15, he took bay’at (pledge) to the great Wali (saint) of his time, Shaykh Shah Muhammad Ahmed (ra) and spent three years continuously in his lofty company. Thereafter Shaykh was guided to the company of the famous Wali (saint) Shaykh Shah Abdul Ghani Phoolpuri (ra), with whom he spent 17 years. The Shaykh’s service and dedication to his Shaykh is unsurpassable in recent times. During the seventeen years with Shaykh Phoolpuri (ra) the nights were spent in a retreat (jungle) from where no other human sound was audible except for the Shaykh’s (Phoolpuri)zikr (remembrance of Allah). It was under the tutelage of Shaykh Phoolpuri for seventeen years that Hazrat mastered the scholarly work of Mathnawi by Shaykh Rumi. Shaykh Phoolpuri (ra) himself was guided by the greatest scholar of recent history, Hakeem ul Ummat Shaykh Ashraf Ali Thanwi (ra), who in turn was taught the Mathnawi by Shaykh Haji Imdadullah (ra).
Shaykh’s discourses permeate the listeners’ heart with Allah’s love, Greatness and hope of salvation. Every word he utters brings one closer to the Creator, Almighty Allah (swt). His company impresses upon those around him to converge their mental as well as physical ‘being‘ into living a life to the Creator’s criterion. His discourses know no language, color or age barriers and even those alien of Urdu benefit. During Ramadan 1419 (1998/1999) a European from Belgium, who could not speak not understand Urdu, spent Ramadan with Shaykh. He was occasionally seen mesmerized by the Shaykh discourses and tears rolled down his cheeks. When someone asked him what was that kept him with Shaykh’s company? He replied, “Shaykh’s words touch my heart and my eyes involuntarily weep, thinking of Allah’s Greatness”. It is because of Shaykh’s great appreciation and understanding of Allah’s qualities that his Shaykh awarded him the title of Aarif Billah (One who has become acquainted with Allah’s qualities).
In his discourses and writings he explores profound topics relevant to the ummah(community) at present time. .His understanding and explanation of man’s spiritual relationship with Allah (swt), the prevalent spiritual and physical maladies and its rectification are topics taken up by other Ulemas (scholars of Islam) throughout the world.
Audio Recordings & Links Related to Funeral (Namaz e Janaza)
- Recording of Namaz e Janazah (Funeral Prayers) Led by Hazrat Maulana Mazhar Sahab Db (Namaz e Janaza starts at 5min 12 sec)
Poetry (Ashaar) in Remembrance of Hazrat Wala RA
- Gul e Shaad Ab Rukhsat Ho Gaya – Ashaar Hazrat Shaheen Iqbal Asar Sb Db
Tributes by leading Ulama from All Over the World
a. In Urdu
- Hazrat Maulana Abdul Hamid Ishaq Sahab Db (Bayan in Khanqah)
- Hazrat Maulana Mufti Amjad Sahab Db (on Radio Islam)
- Hazrat Maulana Abdul Mateen Sahab Db (Hazrat Wala RA Khalifa in Bangladesh)
- Hazrat Maulana Abdullah Madani Sahab Db (Khalifa Hazrat Wala RA and son of Hazrat Maulana Ashiq Ilahi Buland Shehri RA)
b. In English
- Hazrat Dawood Desai Sahab Db (Special – Hazrat Maulana Yunus Patel Sahab’s relationship with Hazrat Wala RA)
Newspaper Columns & Articles
Articles by Hazrat Ishrat Jamil Mir Sahab Db (Khadim e Khaas o Khalifa Hazrat Wala RA)
Articles by Hazrat Maulana Jalil Ahmad Akhwan Sahab Db (Khalifa Hazrat Wala RA)
Series of Articles by Hazrat Shaheen Iqbal Asar Sahab Db (Khalifa Hazrat Wala RA)
- Hazrat Wala RA Ki Muhabbat o Shafqat
- Baghair Baghbaan Gulshan Bhi Weerana Sa Lagta Hai
- Hazrat Wala RA Ki Shaan e Istaghna
- Hazrat Wala RA Ka Ishq e Risalat SAW
- Hazrat Wala RA Ka Tareeq e Tarbiyat
- Hazrat Wala RA Ka Tarz e Mizah – I
- Hazrat Wala RA Ka Tarz e Mizah – II
Article Hazrat Maulana Ilyas Ghumman Sahab Db
Other Articles in Zarb e Momin Special Edition
Other Articles from different Newspapers and Magazines
Ashaar by Aarif Billah Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahab R.A published in Aaeena e Muhabbat Pg 47.
Shaykh ul Arab wal Ajam Arif Billah Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahab R.A passed away on 23 Rajab 1434 (02-June-2013) immediately after Maghrib salah in Khanqah Imdadia Ashrafiya, Karachi.
إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ
The funeral prayers (Namaz e Janazah) of Hazrat Wala R.A were offered in Jamia Ashraf ul Madaris, Gulistan e Jauhar, Karachi lead by Hazrat Maulana Mazhar Sahab Db (the only son of Hazrat Wala R.A) and attended by thousands of Ulama, Mashaikh, Madrasa Students, Murideen and common people from all walks of life. Hazrat was laid to rest in a graveyard near Jamia Ashraf ul Madaris.
Below is the scanned version of the final will (wasiyyat) of Hazrat Wala R.A. written by himself in the year 1999. It has also been translated in English language for the benefit of our readers.
You can also listen to the audio version of Hazrat’s wasiyyat read out by Hazrat Feroz Memon Sahab Db (Khalifa of Hazrat Wala R.A) in Urdu shortly after Hazrat Wala R.A. passed away.
- Hazrat Wala R.A. Ki Wasiyyat (After Maghrib)
- Hazrat Wala R.A Ki Wasiyyat Aur Zaruri Masail ki Wazaahat (After Isha)
Arif Billah Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahab R.A.
Dated: 20th Rabi-ul-Awwal 1420 | 5th July 1999
1. Alhamdulillah, this servant has not left behind any outstanding debts.
2. I have made Maulana Mazhar Sahab the owner of all the items that I am currently using. Maulana Mazhar Saheb has loaned these items to me, hence I am using them. The laws of inheritance will not apply to these items. Maulana Mazhar Saheb is also the owner of the blessed frames that are on the walls (of the Khanqah) and the same ruling will apply to these items as explained above.
3. The bags of cash that are labelled “gifts of the servant (i.e. Hadrat Wala)” will be distributed according to the Shari’ee law of inheritance. My sons will receive two shares each and my daughter will receive one share. The Shari’ee law of inheritance will also apply to my money that is kept by Sayyid Ishrat Jameel, after discharging the Fidya of the Salaah and Fasts that are outstanding.
4. I make a Wasiyyat (bequest) for myself, family members, and close associates that every moment of one’s life should be sacrificed in pleasing Allah and one should not displease Allah for a single moment by indulging in any form of Haraam. If one commits an error, then please Allah by repenting, seeking forgiveness and crying before Allah.
5. One should always remain in the companionship of the pious, and one should always be under the guidance of such a Sheikh with whom he is compatible.
5. Remain in close companionship of the pious throughout your lives and always remain under the guidance of a pious Shaikh with whom you’re compatible.
6. Adopt extreme piety in financial matters and always refer to the Muftis in issues pertaining to the Masaa’il of Shariah.
7. Always make effort in propagating my publications so that I may continue reaping the rewards, and my children should spend their entire lives in the service of Deen. And in business, give preference to the selling of books and keep the selling of medication as a secondary business.
8. Bury me in the same town where I pass away.
9. Make a habit of reciting Surah Ikhlaas thrice and passing over (eesaal e sawab) the rewards to my soul, and seeking forgiveness on my behalf.
10. My funeral prayers (Namaz e Janazah) should be lead by Maulana Mazhar Sahab.
11.The Janazah should be buried as soon as possible. The chest should face towards the Qibla in the grave in accordance to Sunnah, and abstain from the custom of exposing my face to the people.